Jump to User:

myOtaku.com: Nikorasu

Monday, February 25, 2008

Back from Con-Nooga with a Broken Finger
After finding out Friday morning that I had broken my finger at the park last Sunday and putting it in a splint, I headed off to Con-Nooga, a first-year general sci-fi con in Chattanooga, Tenn with Cole and John to promote MTAC. All the fun on the trip was mostly from hanging out with them. The con itself was kind of slow. Given, I was stuck in the dealer room/exhibition hall most of the time there, so I missed a lot of the actual con stuff, but the general feel from the dealer room itself was slight boredom. It doesn't help that the dealer room was located a good bit away from the rest of the con in another building at the complex, requiring walking or driving through the parking lot to get there. At least I got to talk to one of the dealers a lot, even about Gundam and Macross, and it's always good to have a geeky conversation every now and then. I even bought some Macross and Kamen Rider Den-O figures from him.

Speaking of geeky, we all stayed in the hotel room Saturday night and watched Ninja Turtles 2: Secret of the Ooze and the American Godzilla movie instead of the usual late-Saturday-night con party stuff. Still, it was fairly enjoyable staying in and watching TV, especially since most of us were just plain tired.

As for the whole promoting MTAC thing, I think we did a decent job given the low turnout. We got a few people interested in the con from the anime 101 panel that Cole and I gave. Being my first actual panel, and with no planning and completely ad libbed, it went pretty well. The audience seemed interested and even asked enough questions to keep us going. A lot of the people there even stopped by our booth afterwards (not like the mention of MTAC shirts didn't help any though). I was even asked to do a spot for a local anime music station, which I wish I could listen to, but oh well. Plus, our booth was pretty awesome. We ended up using every grid we had to build it.

We ended up leaving this morning before the dealer room closed. A good bit of the dealer room was already packing up, as they pretty much felt they wouldn't get many more sales to match the few they made the previous days. Take down of the booth didn't take too long, and we hit the road back towards Nashville.

All in all, it was fun to hang out, but the con itself from the dealer room wasn't too thrilling. I'm sure others had fun, but since the only other part of the con I experienced was the panel Cole and I ran, I don't really feel adequate enough to give an actual review of it. One of the things about staying at the MTAC booth most of the time is that I don't get to roam around too much, but I do get some feel of the place from interacting with attendees, dealers, panelists, guests and staff. This one seems like it can improve upon itself and be better next year.

Comments (0)

« Home