Sunday, October 7, 2007
You know you're from BC (granted, most of this generally applies to the lower mainland and vancouver island) when...
1. You know the provincial flower: the dogwood
2. You can taste the difference between Tim Hortons, Second Cup, and Seattle's Best.
3. Lower Mainland only: The last time there was snow, you were so confused you tried to snort it.
4. You can't tell, is marijuana still illegal?
5. You hate the Calgary Flames with a passion.
6. You point out vancouver landmarks in nearly every movie and TV show
7. You don't understand why Manitoba and Saskatchewan are considered western Canada
8. While driving on your morning commute, you switch between heat and air conditioning multiple times
9. You consider 2 degrees freezing cold
10. You know that there is actually a town called Dawson Creek
11. You know how to distinguish between the different types of asian food
12. You know how to pronounce Squamish, Osoyoos, Ucluelet, Esquimalt, Sooke & Nanaimo.
13. You actually care about the CFL.
14. You still believe the Canucks have a shot at winning the stanley cup.
15. You can point out at least two ski resorts, even if the city is coated in fog.
16. A nice day means when you can see the mountains
17. You go bankrupt from paying your rent
18. You have come to accept that there are only two seasons
19. Cold and Rainy, and Warm and dry
20. You don't understand what's so great about toronto
22. You never go camping without waterproof matches and a 100% water proof raincoat
23. You know more people with boats than air conditioners
24. You have trouble figuring out why french is an official language or why we have to learn it in school
25. You swear that you're in China or Japan
26. You don't find it wierd that every time you go downtown, some crazy guy is talking to himself
27. Your premier was convicted of drunk driving
28. You know what venti and a macchiato are.
29. You ski and play golf in the same day
30. You are aware that Surrey, New West, Burnaby, Delta, Port Moody, North Van, West Van, White Rock, Abbostford, Langley and Richmond are NOT part of the City of Vancouver
31. You're confused when people from anywhere else say that the hill you just walked up is a mountain
32. You think that Atlantic Salmon doesn't even deserve to be called salmon when compared to Pacific Salmon
33. You've had a California roll for lunch.
34. You take the bus and are shocked to hear two people carrying on a conversation in English.
35. You don't even listen when the forecast announces "chance of showers."
36. The more expensive the car, the worse the driver.
37. when you get more excited about the canucks making the playoffs than you do about the olympics coming to vancouver
38. have to take a ferry to get to your capital city.
39. you are aware that vancouver and vancouver island are not one in the same
40. You're legally an adult, but you still can only drive with one passenger in the car.
41. you can tell the difference between the fresh mountain air and the air in other provinces right when you get out of the airport
42. you know that your province started the "white towel" craze that so many other sports teams have borrowed.
43. you consider a week with no rain to be "good weather".
44. you drink the tap water
45. You know the only thing dividing China and India is the Fraser River
46. the only time you can get a tan is if you go to a tanning salon
47. when at any given time about 90% of people you pass on the street are wearing either LuLuLemmon or Mountain Equipment Co-Op clothing
48. climbing the grouse grind is something you do for fun
49. You HATE Pavel Bure
50. you hate the leafs for no real reason
51. you are SHOCKED to hear someone speaking French.
52. everytime you go out you see at least two people pulled over for speeding/street racing.
53. you can't stand when someone from outside Canada asks if your from Toronto.
54. you ask Albertans if they really have ski slopes.
55. the police don't respond to a crime scene because they are busy trying to find any reason to pull over a "N" license driver.
56. You are tired of people wanting to go to Barkerville
57. You know in Greater Vancouver that West Van, the west side, and the west end are all different places.
58. There are few things you hate more then following people from other provences on the highway because they aren't use to all the turning.
59. You have to check the sports headlines daily to find out who the new Canucks goalie is. (Thank god for Luongo, we don't have to do this anymore)
60. You chuckle when you say the words "fast ferries"
61. the news has extensive coverage of just how badly people in vancouver can drive in 3 inches of snow
62. you get a harsher punishment for having an extra passenger with an L license than your premier does for driving drunk
63. you leave the province to see the rest of Canada, you realize that there is nothing better to see.
64. You are genuinely confused with people that don't consider "Pirate Packs" to be an integral part of a healthy childhood.
65. You assume cab fares will cost a minimum of $25.
66. You're slightly irritated by the inaccuracies of Tony Hawk Underground's representation of Vancouver.
67. you think of Kokanee as a discount beer
68. your license is the hardest to fake of any province
69. you're surprised and pissed to have to pay for the luggage carts when you get to any other airport
70. you know that it's "Science World", not the "Telus World of Science".
71. when you don't like the weather you go inside and wait 15 minutes for it to change
72. you say "Im from kelowna" and the ontario-ian says "so do you miss ?" even after you have corrected them 5 times.....
73. your driving on the highway where the speed in the left lane is slower than the right lane
73. You have been lost in the woods on several occasions, you know you will be again, and you're ok with that.
74. You think $1.00/L is cheap for gas
75. you think about hockey or guns n roses when the word 'riot' is brought up
76. if you know what Gore-tex is and why it's important, if all your coats have hoods, and/or if you've spent more than 90 dollars on a rain jacket
77. your province's football team are last years Grey Cup Champs!
78. while celebrating, your province's football team became the only one to ever break the Grey Cup
79. You know what being "beyond Hope" means
80. Forest Fires are almost a tradition - just like Thanksgiving
81. 1994 means more to you than just the year of the OJ simpson case!
82. you return by plane and the first things you say is: "I can BREATHE!"
83. the first time you drive through the prairies you see no mountain, no trees, no ocean -- and promptly have a panic attack
84. you use the parking brake whenever you park because in bc you're always automatically parked on an incline.
85. the three main universities are on an island, peninsula and mountain top
86. you actually joined a group
87. You laugh when snow is mentioned in Victoria's weather forecast, and laugh harder when someone actually believes it.
88. you know that mt washington isn't actually in washington
89. all the graffiti you find is written in full sentances
90. you've heard about "the big one" and you just couldn't care less
91. You actually pull over to the right and slow down as soon as you faintly hear a siren..
92. You could read a decent size novel before you're admitted into the hospital
93. You know how scary it is to drive next to a loaded logging truck.
94. You can't stand Albertan drivers. Not to mention getting stuck behind them on the Sea-to-Sky
95. (mostly vancouver) You find yourself giving half hour long explanations on what the skytrain is
96. you can identify all the gulf islands from the ferry terminal names
97. the only thing you like about Quebec is the maple syrup
98. your capital city doesnt have enough ploughs for a snow storm.
99. you can recite the BC Ferries safety announcement by heart
100. You care more when a referee makes a bad call during the canucks games then when the Premier got arrested for drunk driving
101. You know you're in B.C. when you find a bear in your backyard then walk to the Starbucks a few blocks away while you wait for the bear to leave
102. you know that an "1 1/2 hour ferry" really means 3 hours. Time to get to the ferry, wait for the ferry, get on the ferry, eat in the buffet on the ferry,and then wait for the broken down VW to get off the ferry.
103. the mountain you grew up skiing on is now too busy with foreigners for you to get a decent amount of runs down the hill.
104. You've paid $6 for an full meal of sushi.
105. you are surprised when people tell you they don't ski or snowboard
106. you watch the weather report for a good laugh
107. you can pick out the Albertan drivers in disguise as one of us
108. you've managed to convince people in florida you live in an igloo and have a pet polar bear'
109. The reasoning for number 4 is not simply because of how abundant Cannabis is, but because you are too baked to remember.
110. you know that the only thing beyond Hope is Hell's Gate